Friday, April 2, 2021

The INTERNET...for Dummies

While I like to think of myself as fairly intellectual, I have to admit, when it comes to particulars of the internet...I'm a dummy. I found out this week reading a chapter of text giving basic information - that I wasn't completely aware of. Surely I'm not alone on this...? 

In hopes of finding other "dummies" like myself, I give you:

The INTERNET...for Dummies:

1. Though I often interchange the terms "internet" and "web," these are actually 2 different things. 

Internet: transfers data and connects computers to computers - allowing us to view pages loaded through browsers on the World Wide Web.

World Wide Web: simply a system that allows us to access the internet. 


2. DOMAIN NAMES:

  • .com (commercial company)
  • .org (organization)
  • .edu (institution of education)
  • .net (org or company that provides network access)
  • .gov (government)
  • .us (United States)
  • .ca (Canada)
  • .au (Australia)

3. RESEARCH - Primary vs. Secondary

Whether you are conducting research for school, work, or fun, it's often good to know exactly where your information is coming from. 

Primary sources - provide firsthand or direct information. 
    Examples: photos, video, audio, letters, diaries, legal documents, speeches, etc. 

Secondary sources - are created after and as a result of primary sources. 
    Example: newspaper articles, reviews, magazine articles, etc. 


***************So, why is this information important?*************

This is the age of digital information. When you're looking for information online, such as instructions, recipes, how-to's, or who had the number one pop song in 1982, knowing this information can help you determine your source and credibility of the text.

You don't want to accidentally put a tablespoon of salt into your banana bread, when the recipe should have read a teaspoon. (Gag.)

You don't want to switch the hot and cold water installing the faucet on your bathroom sink. (Ouch!)

You don't want to apply the training wheels on your kids bike incorrectly. (Oh no!)

You don't want to show up to your friend's 80's party with an iPod full of songs from the 90's. (The shame.) 

Be brave. Be smart. Be sure you trust your source. 

1 comment:

  1. Okay so instantly I found out I was unaware of some terms. I didn't know that the internet and the web were two different things, like you, I would use them interchangeably as well. For number 2 I was was aware of the different domain names. Being in the science field, these were always drilled into my head on which ones are "acceptable" while others should be avoided.

    ReplyDelete